I have spent the last two years working at Ninja Blocks, which is an IoT startup based in Sydney. When I started I was working on keeping the existing systems running, developing new deployment tools and tuning the existing platform, then early in 2014 I was asked to take over as CTO.
As CTO I worked with the team to build the Ninja Sphere, a consumer focused hardware device and cloud services which we launched on kickstarter in November 2013. This project took us ~14 months to build, going from design, firmware / hardware build through to manufacturing and finally shipping. This was one of the most challenging and rewarding projects I have ever worked on.
While at Ninja Blocks I to worked across a wide array of disciplines including hardware, software development and business operations. On the engineering side I primarily worked on:
- Real time messaging from the devices to cloud services
- API Development
- Linux OS development working with drivers, software packaging, and building the firmware for an ARM based platform
- Deployment of cloud services on AWS, Google Cloud with Chef, Ansible and Docker
- Building microservices
- Compliance testing and certification of hardware
Before Ninja Blocks I worked for 13 years as an architect and consultant at Hammond Street Developments which is a mid sized IT consulting company located out in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs. In this role I worked on a large array of projects / contracts within the education, telecommunications and the banking sectors. I got the opportunity to work all over Australia, and New Zealand on many varied and challenging projects.
As a part of the Melbourne Developer community I am one of the co-organisers of the Go meetup.
I have spoken at a couple of conferences:
- February 2015, I presented at API Days Sydney on UDP based APIs
- September 2014, I presented at YOW Connected on Using Bluetooth Low Energy for Location
And presented at Melbjs, and the Go, NodeJS, .NET, Microservices and docker meetups in Melbourne.
Most of my recent talks are listed at https://speakerdeck.com/wolfeidau
Working at a startup, and previously as a consultant I have I have used a wide array of languages, tools and platforms, this is best illustrated by my GitHub Profile. More recently I have been focusing on:
- Building software using:
- Working on Linux, more specifically:
- Ubuntu and Snappy Core
- Redhat Linux/Centos/AWS Linux
- Yocto Linux
- Working in Linux:
- Packaging software for ubuntu and Redhat
- Building kernels using SDKs provided by hardware vendors such as Texas Instruments and Atmel
- Automating and building firmwares using Ubuntu, Snappy Core and the Yocto Project
- Deploying software using:
- Google App Engine
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk, mostly with Docker
- Using a variety of Cloud services such as:
- Google Cloud
- Digital Ocean
- Setting up continuous integration using:
- Atlassian Bamboo
- Working with various network and wireless protocols such as:
- IPv4, IPv6 and 6LoWPAN
- Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy
I am also an avid contributor to open source, with a keen interested in networking, authentication, distributed systems and databases. I also work on some embedded systems development at the Connected Community HackerSpace.
Outside of work I do a bit of cycling, fishing and I am currently learning Chinese in my spare time.
For a list of what I have worked on recently see https://github.com/wolfeidau
You can find me at:
- Github wolfeidau
- Speakerdeck wolfeidau
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter @wolfeidau
comments powered by Disqus